References September 2016 Newsletter
Food & You: The Body-Mind Connection
- Prasad, C. "Food, mood and health: a neurobiological outlook." Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research (1998). 31(12): 1517-1527.
- Rippe, J., et al. "Controversy about Sugar Consumption: State of the Science." Eur J Nutr (2016). doi:10.1007/s00394-016-1227-8. Accessed on 10 July 2016: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00394-016-1227-8
- The Obesity Society. Increase in U.S Sugar Consumption. Accessed on 10 July 2016: http://www.obesity.org/news/press-releases/us-adult
- Centers for Disease Control: National Center for Health Statistics: Nutrient Intake by age: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/diet.htm
- Bray, George A. "Energy and Fructose From Beverages Sweetened With Sugar or High-Fructose Corn Syrup Pose a Health Risk for Some People." Advances in Nutrition 4.2 (2013): 220-225. PMC. Web. 10 July 2016: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3649102/
- Rippe, J.M. & Angelopoulos, T.J., "Sucrose, High-Fructose Corn Syrup, and Fructose, Their Metabolism and Potential Health Effects: What Do We Really Know?" Adv Nutr, (March 2013) 4: 236-245. doi: 10.3945/ an.112.002824. Accessed on 10 July 2016: http://advances.nutrition.org/content/4/2/236.long
- Sharma, A. et al. "Artificial Sweeteners as a Sugar Substitute: Are They Really Safe?" Indian Journal of Pharmacology (2016) 48.3: 237-240. PMC. Web. 10 July 2016: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4899993/
- Somer, E. Food & Mood: The Complete Guide to Eating Well and Feeling Your Best, Second Edition (1999) Holt Books. http://elizabethsomerblog.com
- "Food and Mood." British Dietetic Association Food Fact Sheet. (2014). Accessed on July 8, 2016: https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/foodmood.pdf
- Kobylewski, S. & Jacobsen, M.F. "Food Dyes: A Rainbow of Risks." Center for Science in the Public Interest. (2010). Accessed 10 July 2016: https://cspinet.org/new/pdf/food-dyes-rainbow-of-risks.pdf
- Benon, D. & Donohoe, R.T., "The effects of nutrients on mood." Public Heath Nutrition (1999) 2(3A): 403-9.
- MayoClinic Online. "Caffeine: How Much is Too Much?" Accessed 10 July 2016: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20045678?reDate=10072016
- Singh, Minati. "Mood, Food, and Obesity." Frontiers in Psychology 5 (2014): 925. PMC. Web. 4 July 2016. Accessed 5 July 2016: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4150387/
- ReadingHour.in. "The Food-Mood Connection." Posted Apr 2011. Accessed 5 July 2016. http://readinghour.in/content.php?ctype_id=NjM
- Johns Hopkins Center for Innovative Medicine. "Food, Body, Mind: Gastroenterology meets Neuroscience, meets Microbiology, meets Immunology, meets Psychiatry." Accessed on 9 July 2016: http://www.hopkinscim.org/breakthrough/winter-2014/food-body-mind/
- Challem, J., The Food-Mood Solution: All-Natural Ways to Banish Anxiety, Depression, Anger, Stress, Overeating, and Alcohol and Drug Problems (2007) Boston: John Wiley & Sons. http://jackchallem.com/pages/foodmood/foodmood.html
- Challem, J. "The Food-Mood Connection." Posted 2006 at Experience Life; Accessed on 9 July 2016: https://experiencelife.com/article/the-food-mood-connection/
- Mayo Clinic Online. "What is MSG? Is it Bad for You?" Accessed on 10 July 2016: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/monosodium-glutamate/faq-20058196
- Olakunle, J.O., et al., "Evidence of alterations in Brain Structure and Antioxidant Status following 'low-dose' Monosodium Glutamate Ingestion." Pathophysiology (2016, in press) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pathophys.2016.05.001 Accessed 10 July 2016: http://www.pathophysiologyjournal.com/article/S0928-4680(16)30022-0/pdf
- NaturalNews.com "MSG and aspartame are the two leading causes of central nervous system damage in the United States" accesed on 25 July 2016. http://www.naturalnews.com/039199_central_nervous_system_damage_MSG.html
Eggplant: Versatile and Good For You
- Worlds Healthiest Foods. "Eggplant" Accessed on 4 July 2016: http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=22
- Whitaker, B.D., Stommel, J.R. "Distribution of hydroxycinnamic acid conjugates in fruit of commercial eggplant (Solanum melongena L.) cultivars." J Agric Food Chem. (May 2003) 51(11): 3448-54. Accessed on 5 July 2016: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf026250b
- Murray, Michael T., Pizzorno, J. The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods (2005). Atria. Excerpt on eggplant available at: https://doctormurray.com/healing-facts-eggplant/
- Das, S. et al., "Cardioprotective properties of raw and cooked eggplant (Solanum melongena L)." Food Funct. (2011) 2, p. 395-399. DOI: 10.1039/C1FO10048C. Accessed 5 July 2016: http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2011/FO/c1fo10048c#!divAbstract
- EatingWell.com. "10 Healthy Eggplant Recipes." Accessed 5 July 2016. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_eggplant_recipes
Oat My Goodness! Health Benefits of Avena sativa
- Keogh, G.F., Cooper G.J., et al., "Randomized controlled crossover study of the effect of a highly beta-glucan-enriched barley on cardiovascular disease risk factors in mildly hypercholesterolemic men." Am J Clin Nutr (October 2003), 78(4): 711-718. PMID 14522728. Accessed on July 3, 2016: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/4/711.long
- Beta-glucan. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-glucan
- Whitehead, A., Beck, E., et al., "Cholesterol-lowering effects of oat β-glucan: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials." Am J Clin Nutr (December 2014), 100(6): 1413-1421. Accessed on: July 3, 2016: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/100/6/1413.long
- Malviya N., Jain, S., et al.,. Recent studies on aphrodisiac herbs for the management of male sexual dysfunction-a review. Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica. (2011 January-February) 68(1):3-8. Accessed on July 3, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21485695
- Singh R1, De S, Belkheir A. "Avena sativa (Oat), a potential neutraceutical and therapeutic agent: an overview." Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. (2013) 53(2):126-44. doi: 10.1080/10408398.2010.526725. Accessed on July 3, 2016: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408398.2010.526725?journalCode=bfsn20
Soothe Emotional Angst with Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca)
- Mars, B. & Fiedler, C. Home Reference Guide to Holistic Health & Healing. (2015.) p.191-192. Beverly, MA: Fair Winds Press.
- NatureGate.com "Motherwort." Accessed on July 3, 2016: http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/kukkakasvit/motherwort
- NDHealthFacts.com "Leonurus cardiaca." Accessed on July 3, 2016: http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/kukkakasvit/motherwort
- Hoffmann, D. Medicinal Herbalism. The Science and Practice of Herbal Medicine. Rochester, Healing Art Press 2003. http://www.pdfarchive.info/pdf/H/Ho/Hoffmann_David_-_Medical_herbalism.pdf pp. 501, 502, 509, 514-517.
- Murray, M. "Hypertension" as cited in Pizzorno, Joseph E. (2013). Textbook of Natural Medicine. St. Louis, MO Elsevier. (chapter 174), 1475-1485.
- Johnson, R.L., S. Foster, Low Dog, T. and Kiefer, D. "Plants and the Heart" in National Geographic Guide to Medicinal Herbs: The World's Most Effective Healing Plants. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic, 2012. 100-101.
- Mars, Bridgitte & Fiedler, Chrystle. Home Reference Guide to Holistic Health & Healing. (Beverly, MA: Fair Winds Press. 2015.), 189.
Keep a Mind-Body Food Journal for Health and Healing
- MindfulBody.com. "Food Journal Practice." Accessed on 5 July 2016: http://www.mindfulbody.com/daily-practice/main-journal-page/food-journal-practice
- Health.com. "6 Fascinating Things a Food Journal Can Teach You About Your Eating Habits." Accessed on 5 July 2016: http://news.health.com/2014/04/17/6-fascinating-things-a-food-journal-can-teach-you-about-your-eating-habits/
- FamilyDoctor.org. "Keeping a Food Diary." Accessed on 5 July 2016: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/prevention-wellness/food-nutrition/healthy-food-choices/nutrition-keeping-a-food-diary.html
- MedicineTalk.org. "Health Apps Can Motivate You to Eat Better, Move More." Posted February 2016 by Karen M. Rider. Accessed on 5 July 2016: http://medicinetalk.org/blog/health-apps-eat-better-move-more/
- TheWallStreetJournal.com. "New Reasons Why You Should Keep a Food Journal." Content provided by Sumathi Reddy. Posted May 2016. Accessed on 5 July 2016: http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-reasons-why-you-should-keep-a-food-journal-1463419285
- ReadingHour.in. "The Food-Mood Connection." Posted Apr 2011. Accessed 5 July 2016. http://readinghour.in/content.php?ctype_id=NjM=