References September 2015 Newsletter
Natural Ways to Prevent and Treat Colds & Flu
- Balaji, P. A., S. R. Varne, and S. S. Ali. “Physiological Effects of Yogic Practices and Transcendental Meditation in Health and Disease.” North American Journal of Medical Sciences 4, no. 10 (October 2012): 442–448. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3482773/
- Besedovsky, L., T. Lange, and J. Born. “Sleep and Immune Function.” Pflügers Archiv European Journal of Physiology 463, no. 1 (January 2012):121-137. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00424-011-1044-0
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “What You Should Know for the 2015-2016 Influenza Season.” Accessed July 2015. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2015-2016.htm
- Kachko, R. “A Pillar of Optimal Health: The Immune System.” American Association of Naturopathic Physicians website. April 14, 2015. http://www.naturopathic.org/article_content.asp?article=1010
- MacDonald, C.M. “A Chuckle a Day Keeps the Doctor Away: Therapeutic Humor and Laughter.” Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services 42, no. 3 (March 2004):18-25.
- Gaby, A. (2011). Nutritional medicine. Concord, N.H: Fritz Perlberg Publishing.
- MedlinePlus. “Chicken Soup and Sickness.” Accessed July 2015. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002067.htm
- Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. “Natural Medicines in the Clinical Management of Colds and Flu.” Accessed July 2015. http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com/ce/ceCourse.aspx?s=ND&cs=&pc=12%2D108&cec=1&pm=5
- Pizzorno, J. E. and M.T. Murray, eds. Textbook of Natural Medicine. 4th ed. St. Louis: Elsevier Science, 2013. 516-524. http://www.rhc.ac.ir/Files/Download/pdf/nursingbooks/Textbook%20of%20Natural%20Medicine-2013-cd.pd
Eating Well for Super Immunity in the Winter Months
- Eating Well. “Healthy Immunity Diet Guidelines.” Accessed July 2015. http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/immunity/healthy_immunity_diet_guidelines
- Harvard Health Publications. “How to Boost Your Immune System.” Accessed July 2015. http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-to-boost-your-immune-system
- Mars, B., and C. Fiedler. The Home Reference to Holistic Health & Healing. MA: Fair Winds Press, 2014. 129-144.
- Meydani, S.N., and K.L. Erickson. “Nutrients as Regulators of Immune Function: Introduction.” The FASEB Journal 15, no. 14 (December 2001): 2555. http://www.fasebj.org/content/15/14/2555.full
- Myles, I. A. “Fast Food Fever: Reviewing the Impacts of the Western Diet on Immunity.” Nutrition Journal 13 (2014): 61. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4074336/
Immunity Boosting “Better than Chicken Soup”
- Whole Foods Market Recipe http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/better-chicken-soup
Elderberry – Sambucus Canadensis
- Duke, J. A., et al. Handbook of Medicinal Herbs. 2nd ed. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2002. 267-268.
- Johnson, R.L., S. Foster, T. Low Dog and D. Kiefer. National Geographic Guide to Medicinal Herbs: The World's Most Effective Healing Plants. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic, 2012. 71-73.
- Hulisz, D. “Efficacy of Zinc Against Common Cold Viruses: An Overview.” Abstract. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association 44, no. 5 (2004). http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/491043_6
- National Academy of Sciences. Institute of Medicine. Food and Nutrition Board. “Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium, and Zinc.” Report. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 2001. http://natural-health-academy.com/natural-health/minerals/
- Seaman, A. “Zinc May Shorten Common Cold but Side Effects Common.” Reuters website. Accessed July 2015. http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/07/us-zinc-commoncold-idUSBRE8460RG20120507
- University of Maryland Medical Center. “Zinc.” Reviewed June 30, 2011. http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/zinc#ixzz3evGpAKAn
Alleviate Congestion with Magic Socks
- Bastyr University. “Dive ‘Feet First’ Into Wellness With a Natural Remedy.” Accessed July 2015. http://m.bastyr.edu/news/health-tips/2009/11/dive-feet-first-wellness-natural-remedy
- Mooventhan, A., and L. Nivethitha. “Scientific Evidence-Based Effects of Hydrotherapy on Various Systems of the Body.” North American Journal of Medical Sciences 6, no. 5 (May 2014): 199–209. doi: 10.4103/19472714.132935.
- Options Naturopathic Clinic. “Magic or Warming Socks.” Accessed July 2015. http://www.optionsnaturopathic.com/magic_or_warming_socks.php