References OCTOBER 2019
Breast Thermography: An Important Adjunct Test for Detecting Breast Cancer
- Heywang-Köbrunner, Sylvia H et al. "Advantages and Disadvantages of Mammography Screening." Breast care (Basel, Switzerland) (2011) vol. 6,3: 199-207. doi:10.1159/000329005. Accessed 4 Aug 2019 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3132967/
- Gotzsche, P. and Olsen, O., Cochrane Review on Screening for Breast Cancer with Mammography, The Lancet,(Oct. 20, 2001), 358: 9290, pp. 1340–42. Accessed 4 Aug 2019: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001877.pub4/abstract;jsessionid=E57BF460F5DF9C64DECAC5608633A884.f02t03
- Radiology.UCSF.edu. "A recent story reminds us the thermography is not a substitute for mammography." Accessed 4 Aug 2019: https://radiology.ucsf.edu/blog/recent-story-reminds-us-thermography-not-substitute-mammography
- Cancer.org "Limitations of Mammography." Accessed 4 Aug 2019: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer/screening-tests-and-early-detection/mammograms/limitations-of-mammograms.html
- BreastThermography.com "Types of Breast Imaging." Accessed on Aug 3, 2019:http://www.breastthermography.com/mammography_thermography.htm
- Northrup, C. "The Best Breast Test." Accessed Aug 4, 2019:http://www.drnorthrup.com/best-breast-test/
- Gotzsche, P. and Olsen, O., "Is Screening for Breast Cancer with Mammography Justifiable?" The Lancet,(Jan. 8, 2000), 355: 9198, pp. 129–34. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(99)06065-1
- O'Connor, S. "Why Doctors are Rethinking Breast Cancer" Time online. (Oct 12, 2015 print edition). Accessed on Aug 4 2016: http://time.com/4057310/breast-cancer-overtreatment/
- American College of Clinical Thermography. Accessed Aug 5, 2016:http://www.thermologyonline.org/breast/breast_thermography_what.htm
- Camp, Eli. "Breast Thermography." Shared in personal correspondence. Aug 4, 2016.
Red Cabbage, Green cabbage, Chinese cabbage: Oh, my!
- WorldsHealthiestFoods.com "Cabbage." http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=19
- MedicalNewsToday.com "The Health Benefits of Cabbage." Post written by Ware, M. (2017). Accessed on 5 Aug 2019: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/284823.php
- Atwell, L. L., Beaver, L. M., Shannon, J., Williams, D. E., Dashwood, R.H., & Ho, E. (2015, April). Epigenetic regulation by sulforaphane: Opportunities for breast and prostate cancer chemoprevention. Current Pharmacology Reports. Volume 1, Issue 2, pp 102–111. Retrieved from http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40495-014-0002-x
- Webb, D. (2014, March). Anthocyanins. Retrieved from http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/030314p20.shtml
- "Sulforaphane and Its Effects on Cancer, Mortality, Aging, Brain and Behavior, Heart Disease & More" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz4YVJ4aRfg(part of the video series by FoundMyFitness, hosted by Rhonda Patrick, Ph.D.
Fermented Wheat Germ Extract (Avemar pulvis)
- Mueller T. & "Fermented wheat germ extract - nutritional supplement or anticancer drug?" Nutrition Journal (2011)10:89 Accessed 5 Aug 2019: https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2891-10-89
- Telekes, A.; Hegedus, M.; Chae, C.H.; Vekey, K. "Avemar (wheat germ extract) in cancer prevention and treatment." Nutr. Cancer (2009) 61: 891–899. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20155632
- Zhurakivska, K, G Troiano, VCA Caponio, M Dioguardi, C Arena, and Muzio L. Lo. "The Effects of Adjuvant Fermented Wheat Germ Extract on Cancer Cell Lines: a Systematic Review." Nutrients. 10.10 (2018). Print.
The Cancer Fighting Properties of Green Tea
- MSKCC.org "Green Tea" (Sloan Kettering Cancer Center) Information for Patients & Healthcare Providers. Accessd 4 Aug 2019 https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/green-tea
- Ganmaa D., Willett, W.C., Li, T.Y., et al., "Coffee, Tea, Caffeine and Risk of breast Cancer: A 22-year follow-up." International Journal of Cancer (2008),122(9): pp.2071–2076 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18183588
- Manach, C., Scalbert, A. et al., "Polyphenols: Food Sources and Bioavailablity." Am J Clin Nutr (May 2004), 79:5, pp 727-747. Accessed on 3 Aug 2019: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/5/727.full
- Purdue News online. "Study Finds How Green Tea May Reduce Cancer." Accessed on 3 Aug 2019: http://www.purdue.edu/uns/html4ever/1999/9901.Morre.greentea.html
- NIH: National Cancer Institute.gov "Tea and Cancer Prevention." Accessed on 2 Aug 2019: http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/tea-fact-sheet
- Mukhtar H, Ahmad N. "Tea polyphenols: Prevention of Cancer and Optimizing Health." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2000), 71(6 Suppl), pp1698S–1702S. Accessed on 3 Aug 2019: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1698s.long
- Lambert J.D., Yang C.S., "Mechanisms of cancer prevention by tea constituents." Journal of Nutrition (2003), 133(10): pp.3262S–3267S. Accessed 3 Aug 2019: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14519824
- Seeram NP, Henning SM, Niu Y, et al. "Catechin and Caffeine content of Green Tea Dietary Supplements and Correlation with Antioxidant Capacity." Jl of Agr & Food Chemistry (2006), 54(5), pp1599–1603. Accessed on 3 Aug 2019: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf052857r
Breast Self-Exam for a Woman's "Bosom Buddies"
- MayoClinic.org "Breast Self-exam for Breast Awareness." Accessed 4 Aug 2019: https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/breast-exam/about/pac-20393237