References JUNE 2021
Nature's Remedy Just Beyond Your Front Door
- Warber, Sara L et al. "Addressing "Nature-Deficit Disorder: A Mixed Methods Pilot Study of Young Adults Attending a Wilderness Camp." Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine: eCAM vol. 2015 (2015): 651827. doi:10.1155/2015/651827. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4695668/
- Louv, R. (2005) Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder. Chapel Hill, NC, USA: Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill.
- Kaplan, S. "The restorative benefits of nature: toward an integrative framework." Journal of Environmental Psychology. 1995; 15(3):169–182. doi: 10.1016/0272-4944(95)90001-2.
- Capaldi, C. A., Dopko, R. L., Zelenski J. M. "The relationship between nature connectedness and happiness: a meta-analysis." Frontiers in Psychology. 2014; 5, article 976 doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00976. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
- Kaplan, R., Kaplan, S. (1989) The Experience of Nature: A Psychological Perspective. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; Republished by Ulrich's, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA, 1995.
- Marselle, M. R., Irvine, K. N., Warber, S. L. "Examining group walks in nature and multiple aspects of well-being: a large-scale study." Ecopsychology. 2014;6(3):134–147. doi: 10.1089/eco.2014.0027.
- Haluza, D., Schönbauer, R., Cervinka, R. "Green perspectives for public health: a narrative review on the physiological effects of experiencing outdoor nature." International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2014;11(5):5445–5461. doi: 10.3390/ijerph110505445. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4053896/
- Wells N. M. "At home with nature: effects of 'greenness' on children's cognitive functioning." Environment and Behavior. 2000; 32(6):775–795. doi: 10.1177/00139160021972793. https://www.fs.usda.gov/treesearch/pubs/14883
- Mayer, F. S., Frantz, C. M., Bruehlman-Senecal E., Dolliver K. "Why is nature beneficial?: the role of connectedness to nature." Environment and Behavior. 2009; 41(5):607–643. doi: 10.1177/0013916508319745. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/238428905_Why_Is_Nature_BeneficialThe_Role_of_Connectedness_to_Nature
- Irvine, K. N., Warber, S. L. "Greening healthcare: practicing as if the natural environment really mattered." Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine. 2002; 8(5):76–83 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/11156361_Greening_Healthcare_Practicing_as_if_the_natural_environment_really_mattered
- "How Wilderness Therapy Works: An Examination of the Wilderness Therapy Process to Treat Adolescents with Behavioral Problems and Addictions." USDA Forest Service, 2000 https://www.fs.usda.gov/treesearch/pubs/21990
- Barton, J., and J. Pretty. "What Is the Best Dose of Nature and Green Exercise for Improving Mental Health? A Multi-Study Analysis." Abstract. Environmental Science & Technology 44, no. 10 (May 15, 2010): 3947-3955. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es903183r
- Children and Nature Network: https://research.childrenandnature.org/research-library/
- National Environmental Education Foundation: https://www.neefusa.org
- Project Nature Connect http://www.ecopsych.com/overview.html
- Natural Attraction Ecology video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddRigePS2MY
- Free Course in Natural Attraction Ecology http://www.ecopsych
- Ecological Psychology Explained: https://www.viridis.edu/What-Is-Ecopsychology
- Benefits of Forest Bathing: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/07/17/536676954/forest-bathing-a-retreat-to-nature-can-boost-immunity-and-mood
Apricots are Awesome!
- NDTV.com "Apricots" Accessed 14 April 2021: https://food.ndtv.com/opinions/8-apricot-benefits-the-nutritional-heavyweight-among-fruits-1248312
- MedicalNewsToday.com "What are the Health Benefits of Apricots?" Accessed 14 April 2021: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/apricot-benefits
Apricot-Date No Bake Trail Bars
- Recipe Adapted from: https://cupcakesandkalechips.com/apricot-chia-energy-bars/
Minimize Outdoor Allergy Symptoms with Stinging Nettle
- Recipe Source: Medicine Talk Staff
- Foragefor Health.com "Stinging Nettle." Accessd 14 April 2021: https://forageforhealth.wordpress.com/season/spring/stinging-nettle/
- HerbWisdom.com "Nettle (Urtica Dioica): Stinging Nettle Benefits." Accessed 1 Mar 2017: http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-nettle.html
- Drexel.edu "Clinical Applications of Stinging Nettle." (Aug 2012). Accessed 14 April 2021: https://drexel.edu/cnhp/news/current/archive/2015/January/2012-10-01-Stinging-Nettle/
- Johnson TA, Sohn J, Inman WD, et al., "Lipophilic stinging nettle extracts possess potent anti-inflammatory activity, are not cytotoxic and may be superior to traditional tinctures for treating inflammatory disorders." Phytomedicine. (2013) 20:143-7. Accessed 1 Mar 2017: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3529973/
Selecting a Quality Multivitamin or Mineral Supplement for Kids
- Gaby, A. Nutritional Medicine. Concord, N.H.: Fritz Perlberg Publishing: 2011.
- DeSoto, CM., Naturopathic Pediatrics Blog: "What's in Your Child's Multivitamin?" Accessed 13 April 2021: https://naturopathicpediatrics.com/2015/06/13/whats-childs-multivitamin/
- US Pharmacopeia: "Choosing a Quality Supplement." Accessed 13 April 2021: https://qualitymatters.usp.org/choosing-quality-supplements
- NIH National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. "5 Things to Know About Safety of Dietary Supplements for Children and Teens." Updated June 4, 2015. Accessed 13 April 2021: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/tips/childsupplements
- Skowron, J. M. Fundamentals of Naturopathic Pediatrics. Toronto: CCNM Press: 2009.