References JUNE 2016
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement: Is it Right For You?
- Harvard Health Online. "What are Bioidentical Hormones?" Accessed on March 23, 2016. http://www.health.harvard.edu/womens-health/what-are-bioidentical-hormones
- Lucille, H. Creating and Maintaining Balance: A woman's guide to safe, natural hormone health." (e-book) Available from: http://drhollylucille.com/product/creating-and-maintaining-balance/
- WomenInBalance.Org. National College of Natural Medicine. "About Hormones." Accessed on March 23, 2016. http://womeninbalance.org/about-hormone-imbalance/
- also see: "Testing, Not Guessing: Alternatives to HRT" http://womeninbalance.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/36/files/2012/10/Alternatives-to-HRT.pd
- also see: "Research & Resources for Women in Balance" http://womeninbalance.org/resources-research/
- Research Summaries: http://research.womeninbalance.org
- Stephenson, K., et al., "The effects of compounded bioidentical transdermal hormone therapy on hemostatic, inflammatory, immune factors; cardiovascular biomarkers; quality-of-life measures; and health outcomes in perimenopausal and postmenopausal women." Int J Pharm Compd. (2013, Jan-Feb) 17(1): 74-85. PMID: 23626249 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23627249
- Holtorf, K. "The bioidentical hormone debate: are bioidentical hormones (estradiol, estriol, and progesterone) safer or more efficacious than commonly used synthetic versions in hormone replacement therapy?" Postgrad Med. (2009) 121(1): 73-85. doi: 10.3810/pgm.2009.01.1949. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19179815
- The North American Menopause Society. "Bioidentical Hormone Therapy." Accessed on March 23, 2016. http://www.menopause.org/publications/clinical-practice-materials/bioidentical-hormone-therapy
- Mayo Clinic Online. "Menopause." Accessed on March 23, 2016. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menopause/expert-answers/bioidentical-hormones/faq-20058460
- Northrup, Christiane. The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health During the Change (Revised Edition). (2012) Bantam Books: Illinois.
- Interview with Christiane Northrup (2009, 2012 follow-up).
- Cirigliano, M. "Bioidentical hormone therapy: a review of the evidence." Journal of Womens Health (2007, Jun) 15(5). pp 600-31. PMID: 17627398
Flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum)
- WorldsHealthiestFoods.com "What's New and Beneficial About Flaxseed?" Accessed on March 23, 2016. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=81
- University of Maryland Medical Center Complementary and Alternative Medicine Guide. "Menopause" Accessed on March 23, 2016. http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/menopause
- Goyal, A., et al., "Flax and Flaxseed Oil: An Ancient Medicine & Modern Functional Food." Journal of Food Science and Technology 51.9 (2014): 1633–1653. PMC. Web. 24 Mar. 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4152533/
- Peterson, J., et al., "Dietary Lignans: Physiology and Potential for Cardiovascular Disease Risk Reduction." Nutrition reviews 68.10 (2010): 571–603. PMC. Web. 24 Mar. 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2951311/
- Poluzzi, E.,et al., "Phytoestrogens in Postmenopause: The State of the Art from a Chemical, Pharmacological and Regulatory Perspective." Current Medicinal Chemistry 21.4 (2014): 417–436. PMC. Web. 24 Mar. 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3963458/
- Ewies, AA. "Phytoestrogens in the Management of Menopause: up-to-date." Obstet Gynecol Surv (2002, May). 57(5): pp 306-13. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11997677
- Dew, T.P., et al., "Controlled Flax Interventions for the Improvement of Menopausal Symptoms and Postmenopausal Bone Health." Menopause. (2013) 20:11, pp. 1207-1215. Accessed on March 23, 2016.
- Botanical-online.com "Mucilage Properties" Accessed on March 24, 2016. http://www.botanical-online.com/english/mucilage.htm
Gluten-free Flaxseed Apple Muffins
- Adapted from: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/gluten-free-flax-seed-muffins
Could Diindolylmethane (DIM) Protect Against Cancer?
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Integrative Medicine Database. https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/diindolylmethane
- Fujioka, N. et al., " Research on cruciferous vegetables, indole-3-carbinol, and cancer prevention: a tribute to lee w. wattenberg." Mol Nutr Food Res (Feb 2016) doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201500889. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26840393
- Ashrafian, L.,et al. "Double-blind randomized placebo-controlled multicenter clinical trial (phase IIa) on di-indolylmethane's efficacy and safety in the treatment of CIN: implications for cervical cancer prevention." The EPMA Journal. (2015) 6:25. doi:10.1186/s13167-015-0048-9. Accessed on March 23, 2016: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4685602/
- Ahmad, A., et al., "The Bounty of Nature for changing the cancer landscape." Mol Nutr Food Res (Jan 2016). doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201500867. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26799714
- Higdon, J.V. et al., "Cruciferous vegetables and human cancer risk: epidemiologic evidence and mechanistic basis." Pharmacol Res. (Mar 2007) 55(3): p 224-36. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1043661807000321
- Minich, D.M. & Bland, S. "A Review of the Clinical Efficacy and Safety of Cruciferous Vegetable Phytochemicals." DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2007.tb00303.x p 259-267 First published online: 1 June 2007. Available from: http://nutritionreviews.oxfordjournals.org/content/65/6/259
Natural Soothing for Menstrual Distress: Black Cohosh (Actaea racemosa)
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. "Black Cohosh." Accessed on March 23, 2016: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/blackcohosh/ataglance.htm
- Johnson, R.L., S. Foster, Low Dog, T. and Kiefer, D. "Black Cohosh" in National Geographic Guide to Medicinal Herbs: The World's Most Effective Healing Plants. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic. (2012.0. pp. 277-281.
- Mars, Bridgitte & Fiedler, Chrystle. Home Reference Guide to Holistic Health & Healing. (Beverly, MA: Fair Winds Press. (2015) pp. 183.
- HerbWisdom.com. "Black Cohosh" Accessed on March 23, 2016: http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-black-cohosh.html
- University of Maryland Medical Center Complimentary and Alternative Medicine Database Online. Accessed on March 23, 201-- http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/black-cohosh
- Borrelli F. & Ernst, E. "Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa) for menopausal symptoms: a systematic review of its efficacy." Pharmacology Res. (2008). 58(1) p. 8-14. Accessed on March 22-23, 2014 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0025895/
- Cappelli, V et al., "Evaluation of the efficacy of a new nutraceutical product in the treatment of postmenopausal symptoms." Ginecologia e Ostetricia (Italy) A Journal on Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- Summary: http://www.minervamedica.it/en/journals/minerva-ginecologica/article.php?cod=R09Y2015N06A0515
- Mayo Clinic Online. "Acupuncture." Accessed March 24, 2016. http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/acupuncture/basics/definition/prc-20020778
- American Association of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. Patient Resources Section, News, Articles, Clinical Trials & Other Information. http://www.aaaomonline.org/?page=PatientResources
- Nolting, M. "Acupuncture." as cited in Pizzorno, Joseph E. (2013). Textbook of Natural Medicine. St. Louis, MO Elsevier. (chapter 31), 244-247.
- NaturalNews.com "Latest study reinforces link between acupuncture and relief from hot flashes." Posted on August 05, 2014. Accessed on March 24, 2016. http://www.naturalnews.com/046321_hot_flashes_menopause_acupuncture.html
- NaturalNews.com "What to expect at your first acupuncture visit" posted May 03, 2014. Accessed on March 24, 2016. http://www.naturalnews.com/044969_acupuncture_patient_experience_licensed_practitioners.html
- App based on the book: A Manual of Acupuncture. (2001). Journal of Chinese Medicine Publications. England. -- 7-day free trial available as of March 2016: https://amanualofacupuncture.com/about-manual-of-acupuncture