References February 2020
Become an Informed Consumer of Health Information
- Seçkin, Gül et al. "Being an Informed Consumer of Health Information and Assessment of Electronic Health Literacy in a National Sample of Internet Users: Validity and Reliability of the e-HLS Instrument." Journal of Medical Internet Research vol. 18,7 e161. 11 Jul. 2016, doi:10.2196/jmir.5496 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4960406/
- NCCIH.gov "Become an Informed Consumer" https://nccih.nih.gov/health/decisions
- "Being an Informed Consumer of Health Information and Assessment of Electronic Health Literacy in a National Sample of Internet Users: Validity and Reliability of the e-HLS Instrument VL - 18" Jl Medical Internet Research 10.2196/jmir.5496 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305216870_Being_an_Informed_Consumer_of_Health_Information_and_Assessment_of_Electronic_Health_Literacy_in_a_National_Sample_of_Internet_Users_Validity_and_Reliability_of_the_e-HLS_Instrument
- MedLinePlus.gov "Evaluation Health Information." https://medlineplus.gov/evaluatinghealthinformation.html
- CDC.gov Continuing Education Training: Health Literacy (2016) https://www.cdc.gov/healthliteracy/training/
Arsenic in Rice: Which Rice is Safest?
- Healthline.com: Arsenic in Rice: Should You be Concerned? https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/arsenic-in-rice
- Dartmouth.edu: U.S. Regions with high arsenic levels: https://www.dartmouth.edu/~arsenicandyou/sources/locations.html
- "Arsenic Neurotoxicity: A Review." J Appl Toxicol. (2011 Mar) 31(2):95-107. doi: 10.1002/jat.1649. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18025055
- "Arsenic: toxicity, oxidative stress and human disease." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21321970
Coconut Oil or EVOO? The Healthy Truth
- Khaw, Kay-Tee et al. "Randomised trial of coconut oil, olive oil or butter on blood lipids and other cardiovascular risk factors in healthy men and women." BMJ open (Mar. 2018) vol 6: 8,3 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-020167. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282857.php#benefits
- Wallace, TC "Health Effects of Coconut Oil-A Narrative Review of Current Evidence." J Am Coll Nutr. (2019 Feb) 38(2):97-107. doi: 10.1080/07315724.2018.1497562. Epub 2018 Nov 5.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30395784
- Fortune.com "Ok Let's Talk about Coconut Oil." https://fortune.com/2018/08/24/is-coconut-oil-bad-for-you/
- Rabin, RC & Egan, S. "Is Coconut Oil Good or Bad for You?" NY Times online. 21 Aug 2018: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/well/eat/coconut-oil-good-bad-health.html
- Harvard Health Letter. "Ask the Doctor: Coconut Oil" https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/coconut-oil
- Penn Medicine "How to Improve your Health and Beauty with Coconut Oil" https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/health-and-wellness/2017/january/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil
- Hsph.harvard.edu "The Nutrition Source: Coconut Oil" https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/food-features/coconut-oil/
Yummy Chocolate Avocado & Black Bean Brownies
- Recipe Source: https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/healthy-avocado-black-bean-brownies/
Vitamin D Achieves Mainstream Medical Acceptance
- Gershman, J. "Vitamin D: A Guide for Pharmacists." https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contributor/jennifer-gershman-pharmd-cph/2018/03/vitamin-d--a-guide-for-pharmacists
- Cannell JJ, Hollis, BW "Use of Vitamin D in Clinical Practice." Alternative Medicine Review (2008) 13: 1.
- Monograph on Vitamin D: Alternative Medicine Review (2008) 13:2. Thorne Research.
- Apple, S. "Why Governments are selling Vitamin D short." Financial Times (23 Oct 2009) https://www.ft.com/content/11180df8-beaa-11de-b4ab-00144feab49a
- The Pharma Letter. "FDA Clears Merck & Co's Enhanced Fosamax with D" (April 2005) https://www.thepharmaletter.com/article/fda-clears-merck-co-s-enhanced-fosamax
- VitaminD Wiki: Lists a link to a patent databse: https://vitamindwiki.com/Who+said+vitamin+D+could+not+be+patented
- Hollis, BW. "Circulating 25-hydroxy: Vitamin D levels indicative of vitamin D sufficiency: implications for establishing a new effective dietary intake recommendation for vitamin D." J Nutr (2005);135:317-322.
- Bikle, DD. "What is new in vitamin D: 2006-2007." Curr Opin Rheumatol (2007) 19:383-388.
- Vieth, R. "What is the optimal vitamin D status for health?" Prog Biophys Mol Biol (2006) 92:26-32.
- Garland CF, Grant WB, Mohr SB, et al. "What is the dose-response relationship between vitamin D and cancer risk?" Nutr Rev (2007) 65:S91-S95.
- Ward, D. "What Strikes Terror in the Citadels of the Pharmaceutical Industry." Life Extension: Science & Research Online Article (2016, Jan.) https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2016/1/what-strikes-terror-in-the-citadels-of-the-pharmaceutical-industry
- Scragg R, Slow S, Stewart AW, et al. "Long-term high-dose vitamin D3 supplementation and blood pressure in healthy adults: a randomized controlled trial." Hypertension. (2014 Oct) 64(4):725-30.
- Grant, W. (Commentary) "Vitamin D Acceptance Delayed by Big Pharma following the Disinformation Playbook." Orthomolecular Medical News Service. http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v14n22.shtml
From Ancient Herb to Modern Medicine
- Firenzuoli, Fabio, and Luigi Gori. "Herbal medicine today: clinical and research issues." Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine : eCAM vol. 4,Suppl 1 (2007): 37-40. doi:10.1093/ecam/nem096. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2206236/
- "Digitalis." (folk remedy history) https://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/vchemlib/mim/bristol/digitalis/digitalis_text.htm
- Mayo Clinic. "Natural Healing: Prevent illness and Improve Your Life." (January 2018 edition, print)