References DECEMBER 2020
Navigating Change in Uncertain Times
- Ackerman, C.E. "What is Self-awareness and Why is it Important?" posted 9 Jan 2020 PositivePsychology. Accessed 13 October 2020: https://positivepsychology.com/self-awareness-matters-how-you-can-be-more-self-aware/
- Borysenko, Joan Z. (2009) It's Not the End of the World: Developing Resilience in Times of Change. CA: Hay House.
- Curtain, M. "This 75-Year Harvard Study Found the 1 Secret to Leading a Fulfilling Life." Posted in Inc.com. Accessed 7 Nov 2020: This 75-Year Harvard Study Found the 1 Secret to Leading a Fulfilling Life
- Gordon, James S. (2009) Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven Stage Journey out of Depression. Penguin Books.
- Denby, D. "The Limits of Grit." The New Yorker posted 21 June 2016. Accessed 7 Nov 2020: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-limits-of-grit
- Richardson, G.E. "The metatheory of resilience and resiliency. Journal of Clinical Psychology. (2002) 58: 307-321. (print) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11836712
- Additional research articles by Professor Richardson indexed at https://faculty.utah.edu/u0032514-GLENN_E_RICHARDSON,_PhD/research/index.hml
- Pinker-Pope, T. "How to be Happy." Well: NY Times Online. Accessed 23 Nov 2017: https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/how-to-be-happy?em_pos=small&emc=edit_hh_20171121&nl=well&nl_art=0&nlid=72713056&ref=headline&te=1
- NBCnews.com "What is self-awareness? How can you culitivate it?" Accessed 13 October 2020: https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifestyle/what-self-awareness-how-can-you-cultivate-it-ncna1067721
Persimmon: a Nutritious, Fruity Gem
- California Rare Fruit Growers. "Persimmon." https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/persimmon.html
- HealthLine.com "Top 7 Health and Nutrition Benefits of Persimmon." Accessed 5 Oct 2020: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/persimmon-nutrition-benefits#TOC_TITLE_HDR_1
Vegan Persimmon Cookies
- Recipe Adapted from: Healthier Steps https://healthiersteps.com/recipe/vegan-persimmon-cookies/
The Calming Power of Passionflower
- Johnson, R.L., S. Foster, Low Dog, T. and Kiefer, D. National Geographic Guide to Medicinal Herbs: The World's Most Effective Healing Plants. (2012) Washington, D.C.: National Geographic.
- HealthLine.com "Calming Effects of Passionflower." Accessed 9 Oct 2020: https://www.healthline.com/health/anxiety/calming-effects-of-passionflower
- Mars, B. & Fiedler, C. (2015). The Home Reference to Holistic Health & Healing. Beverly, MA: Fair Winds Press.
- Bennett, Robin Rose. (2014). The Gift of Healing Herbs. Berkeley, CA: North Atlantic Books.
- Hoffman, D. (2003). Medical Herbalism. Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press.
Vitamin E: Potent Antioxidant and Much More
- National Institutes of Health. "Fact Sheet on Vitamin E for Health Professionals." Accessed 6 Oct. 2020: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminE-HealthProfessional/
- "Vitamin E Fact Sheet for Consumers." https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminE-Consumer/
- Kowdley KV, Mason JB, Meydani SN, Cornwall S, Grand RJ. Vitamin E deficiency and impaired cellular immunity related to intestinal fat malabsorption. Gastroenterology 1992;102:2139-42. Accessed 6 Oct 2020: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1587435?dopt=Abstract
- Blumberg JB, Frei B. Why clinical trials of vitamin E and cardiovascular diseases may be fatally flawed. Commentary on "The relationship between dose of vitamin E and suppression of oxidative stress in humans." Free Radic Biol Med 2007;43:1374-6. Accessed 6 Oct 2020: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1587435?dopt=Abstract