References DECEMBER 2018
Mindful Gift Giving: Tips for the Holiday Season
- Weinberg, J. "6 Tips for Mindful Gift Giving." Chopra.com Accessed 13 Oct 2018: https://chopra.com/articles/6-tips-for-mindful-gift-giving
- Burn, Shawn M. "Gift-giving Anxiety." PsychologyToday.comPosted 16 Dec 2014. Accessed 13 Oct 2018: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/presence-mind/201412/gift-giving-anxiety
- Price-Mitchell, M. "Mindful Gift Giving in Families Shapes Children's Values" Accessed from: RootsofAction.com 13 Oct 2018: https://www.rootsofaction.com/gift-giving-families/
Holiday Digestive Support: Ginger
- Mars, B. & Fiedler, C. Home Reference Guide to Holistic Health & Healing. (2015) p.186. Beverly, MA: Fair Winds Press.
- Johnson, R.L., S. Foster, Low Dog, T. and Kiefer, D. National Geographic Guide to Medicinal Herbs: The World's Most Effective Healing Plants.(2012) p.140; 158-160. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic.
- WorldsHealthiestFoods.com "Ginger" Accessed October 4, 2016. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=72
- Borrelli F, Capasso R, Aviello G, Pittler MH, Izzo AA. "Effectiveness and safety of ginger in the treatment of pregnancy-induced nausea and vomiting." Obstet Gynecol. (2005) Apr;105(4):849-56. PMID:15802416
- Hoffmann, D. Medicinal Herbalism. The Science and Practice of Herbal Medicine. Rochester, Healing Art Press 2003.
- University of Michigan Health System. "Ginger root supplement reduced colon inflammation markers." University of Michigan Health System, 11 October 2011. http://www.uofmhealth.org/news/ginger-cancer-1011
- Homemade Ginger Ale: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/homemade-ginger-ale-358033
- Recipe Resource: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hot-and-sweet-gingerbread-recipe
- Rathnavelu, Vidhya et al. "Potential Role of Bromelain in Clinical and Therapeutic Applications." Biomedical Reports 5.3 (2016): 283–288. PMC. Accessed 12 October 2018: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4998156/
- Roxas, M. "The Role of Enzyme Supplementation in Digestive Disorders." Alt Med Rev (2008) 13:4, 307-314. Accessed 10 Oct 2018: http://archive.foundationalmedicinereview.com/publications/13/4/307.pdf
- Muss, C., Modgoelier, W., Enler, T. "Papaya Preparation in Digestive Disorders." Nuero Endocrinol Lett. (2013) 34:1, 38-46. PMID: 23524622: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23524622
- Rama, R. "12 Foods that contain Natural Digestive Enzymes." Posted 2018, May 15 at Healthline.com. Accessed 10 Oct. 2018: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/natural-digestive-enzymes
Peppermint for Home and Health during the Holidays
- Essential Oils Natural Living. "Essential Oils to Boost Energy, Reduce Fatigue." http://www.essentialoilsus.com/boost-energy-aromatherapy/
- Mars, B., and C. Fieldler. The Home Reference to Holistic Health & Healing. MA: Fair Winds Press: 2015.
- Kligler, B. Chaudhary, S. "Peppermint Oil." Am Family Physician (2007 Apr 1) 1:75(7): 1027-1039. Accessed 10 October 2018: https://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0401/p1027.pdf
- Hamoud, R., Sporer, F. et al., "Antimicrobial activity of a traditionally used complex essential oil distillate (Olbas® Tropfen) in comparison to its individual essential oil ingredients." (2012 May 14) Accessed 10 Oct 2018: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2012.05.014
- Ford, Alexander C., Talley, Nicholas J., SpiegelBrennan M. R., et al., "Effect of fibre, antispasmodics, and peppermint oil in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome: systematic review and meta-analysis," BMJ 2008; 337 :a2313. Accessed 10 Oct 2018: https://www.bmj.com/content/337/bmj.a2313
Doing Good for Others is Good for Your Health
- NationalService.gov. "The Health Benefits of Volunteering: A review of Recent Research." Corporation of National & Community Service.Accessed 13 Oct 2018: https://www.nationalservice.gov/pdf/07_0506_hbr.pdf
- Thebalancesmb.com "Th15 Unexpected Benefits of Volunteering that will Inspire You." Accessed 13 October 2018: https://www.thebalancesmb.com/unexpected-benefits-of-volunteering-4132453
- CreateTheGood.org "Health Benefits of Volunteering." Accessed 13 Oct 2014: http://createthegood.org/articles/volunteeringhealth
- Carlson, Michelle C., Erickson, Kirk I., Kramer, Arthur F., et al., " Evidence for Neurocognitive Plasticity in at-risk older adults: The Experience Corps Program." Jls of Gerontology: Series A, (1 December 2009) 64A:12, Pages 1275–1282, Accessed 13 Oct 2018: https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glp117
- Raposa, Elizabeth B et al., "Prosocial Behavior Mitigates the Negative Effects of Stress in Everyday Life" Clinical psychological science : a journal of the Association for Psychological Science (2015) 4:4, 691-698. Accessed 28 Oct 2016: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4974016/