References APRIL 2015
What Your Bowel Movements Reveal about Your Health
- Mercola, J. "What You See in the Toilet Can Give You Valuable Insights into Your Health." Accessed February 2015.
- Monastyrsky, K. "Gut Sense: What Exactly Are Normal Stools?" Accessed February 2015.
- Sikirov, D. "Comparison of Straining During Defecation in Three Positions: Results and Implications for Human Health." Abstract. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 48, no. 7 (July 2003): 1201-5.
- Step and Go. "Step and Go Ergonomically Correct Toilet Position." Accessed February 2015.
Power Up Your Gut with Fermented Foods
- Chilton, S., J. Burton, and G. Reid. "Inclusion of Fermented Foods in Food Guides Around the World." Abstract. Nutrients 7, no. 1 (January 2015): 390-404.
- The Huffington Post. Headlines on fermented food trend.
- Mercola, J. "Fermented Foods: How to ‘Culture’ Your Way to Good Health." Accessed February 2015.
- Rawlings, D. Fermented Foods for Health: Use the Power of Probiotic Foods to Improve Your Digestion, Strengthen Your Immunity, and Prevent Illness. Fair Winds Press: 2013.
- Schwenk, D. Cultured Food for Life: How to Make and Serve Delicious Probiotic Foods for Better Health and Wellness. Hay House, Inc.: 2013.
- Williams, D. "Fermented Foods that Boost Digestive Health." Reviewed February 6, 2014.
- American Gastroenterological Association. "Probiotics: What They Are and What They Can Do for You." Revised May 2013.
- Kiani, L. "Bugs in Our Gut: How Probiotics Keep Us Healthy." Cambridge Scientific Abstracts: Discovery Guide (October 2006).
- Mayo Clinic. "Do I Need to Include Probiotics and Prebiotics in My Diet?" October 15, 2014.
Tonifying the Colon with Triphala
- Gowda, D.V., G. Muguli, P.R. Rangesh, and R.D. Deshpande. "Phytochemical and Pharmacological Actions of Triphala: Ayurvedic Formulation - A Review." International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review & Research 15, no. 2 (July/August 2012).
- Mukherjee, P.K., et al. "Clinical Study of Triphala – A Well Known Phytomedicine from India." Iranian Journal of Pharmacology & Therapeutics 5, no. 1 (January 2006).
- Svoboda, R. Prakriti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution. Lotus Press: 1998.
- Tierra, M. "The Wonders of Triphala: Ayurvedic Formula for Internal Purification." Accessed February 17, 2015.
- Christensen, P., and K. Krogh. "Transanal Irrigation for Disordered Defecation: A Systematic Review." Abstract. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology 45, no. 5 (May 2010). doi: 10.3109/00365520903583855.
- Mooventhan, A., and N.L. Nivethitha. "Scientific Evidence-based Effects of Hydrotherapy on Various Systems of the Body." Abstract. North American Journal of Medical Sciences 6, no. 5 (May 2014):199-209. doi: 10.4103/1947-2714.132935.
- Pizzorno, J., and M. Murray, eds. Textbook of Natural Medicine. Seattle: John Bastyr College of Naturopathic Medicine: 1985.
- Preziosi, G., et al. "Transanal Irrigation for Bowel Symptoms in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis." Abstract. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum 55, no. 10 (October 2012).
- Richards, D.G., D.L. McMillin, E.A. Mein, and C.D. Nelson. "Colonic Irrigations: A Review of the Historical Controversy and the Potential for Adverse Effects." Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 12, no. 4 (May 2006): 389-93.